About the Association
Founded in 1988 and originally named the Independent Hospitals Association of Ireland (IHAI), the Association has co-ordinated the representation of private hospitals for nearly 30 years and offered a forum for exchange of information and best practice between members throughout that time. Over recent years it has become increasingly involved in contributing to the formulation of various aspect of Health Policy. In 2016 the Association resolved to change its name to the Private Hospitals Association.
What we do
PHA members operate almost thirty percent of the acute hospitals in Ireland. We contribute significantly to the provision of high quality, value-for-money health care to the population.
- Promote quality and efficient healthcare for patients of private hospitals in Ireland
- Assist in the overall improvement of healthcare management and policies through the development and exchange of practices, procedures, innovation and other appropriate information among hospital managers, clinicians, policy makers and consumers
- Facilitate a collaborative relationship with the publicly funded health system
- Create and maintain a climate in which the private hospital sector in Ireland can grow, develop and be competitive nationally and internationally
- Foster a greater public, official and political awareness of the nature and working of private hospital sector as an essential and integral part of the fabric of the nation’s hospital infrastructure
- Provide a single forum for the private hospital sector, within which issues of common concern can be jointly identified, acted upon and resolved
A Board of Directors of the Association is elected annually by the Council – which comprises the Chief Executives of all the members.
Board members :
|Ms Emma Balmaine||CEO||St John of God Hospital|
|Mr Fergus Clancy||Director||Mater Private Group|
|Mr Eamonn Fitzgerald,||CEO||Hermitage Clinic|
|Mr Brian Keane||CEO||St Vincent’s Private Hospital|
|Mr Bill Maher||CEO||Bon Secours Health System|
|Mr Simon Nugent||CEO||Private Hospitals Association|
Chief Executive – Simon Nugent
Simon Nugent is the CEO and spokesperson of the Association and a member of the Board of Directors.
When he joined the PHA in the autumn of 2015 Simon already had an extensive career in public policy and in business representation. He has worked in both Brussels and Dublin, A former CEO of the Chambers of Commerce of Ireland, he served from 2011 to 2014 as Special Advisor to the Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources.
In December 2015 Simon was appointed to the government’s National Clinical Effectiveness Committee by the Minister for Health, Leo Varadkar T.D.
Patient Safety and Quality Adviser – Anne Walsh
Anne Walsh advises the Association on issues related to patient safety, quality and accreditation. She acts as convenor of the two important networks within the association – the Patient Safety and Quality Managers Committee and the Directors of Nursing Committee.
Anne has worked as Director/Head of Nursing and Clinical Services in private hospitals in Ireland and the UK and has extensive quality, accreditation and regulatory licencing experience from the UK.